1/2/11

New Year’s Resolutions for Other People

Happy New Year, people! I’m feeling pressure to write something thoughtful and profound. About the inner wisdom I’ve gained over the past year and my meaningful goals for 2011. But I’ve got nothing. Oh, sure, I’ve got the usual “worry less, read more, eat better” resolutions, but that’s about it. (Last year I was more creative.)

Maybe it’s because I spent the last 4 days at my in-laws’, otherwise known as The Land Where the Kitchen Never Closes and the TV’s Always On. All those home-cooked meals and football games don’t lend themselves to quiet introspection. Not to mention the fact that I spent the entire trip wrestling fragile Christmas decorations out of my toddler’s grip and trying to keep my 4-year-old from strewing his belongings from one end of the house to the other. (Even so, we lost 3 socks, 1 pair of gloves, a couple of action figures, and several pieces of a brand-new Uno game.)

The funny thing is, I can think of plenty of New Year’s resolutions for OTHER people. For instance, my husband might resolve to plan in advance for things. Say, choosing a recipe and making a grocery list before it’s his turn to cook dinner, instead of gazing into the pantry and searching FoodNetwork.com at 5:30pm and hoping the ingredients for a delicious meal magically materialize in the next 20 min.

And my 4 y.o. might resolve to approach the toilet as a specific target instead of a general guideline. My 22 m.o. could resolve to let, say, 4 seconds elapse after demanding his milk before having a tantrum because I didn’t respond fast enough. My whole family could resolve to put things back where they belong so that an hour of every day isn’t spent tearing the house apart to look for someone’s keys or red Crocs.

OK, fine. I guess I have room for improvement, too. I resolve to get less annoyed by the above behaviors, as well as others including asking for a certain type of food and then refusing that same food once it’s prepared. Or announcing on Thursday night that you had no idea the next day was the school picnic, even though it’s been on the calendar for months.

Oops, this is turning back to them, isn’t it? And I was supposed to be discussing how I could improve MYSELF. Hmmm… Well, let me think on that and get back to you. In the meantime, anyone else make any interesting resolutions this year?

LINK O’ THE WEEK: In case you missed it, registration is open NOW for fun, practical, 6-week online non-fiction writing classes with me and/or Writer Mama Christina Katz starting Jan. 12. Find out more and sign up here. Jan. classes usually fill up, so register ASAP so you don’t miss out!

7 comments:

Rebecca Einstein Schorr said...

What a fun post!! I don't do resolutions this time of year as I'm still working on the ones I made for the Jewish New Year and haven't had enough time to complete them! But if I did, I think starting with what others might resolve to do in the new year is a great idea.

angie mizzell said...

I swear I think we have the same children. I have no idea how they manage to fly up and down the east coast to terrorize both of us.

Abby said...

Oh, my goodness, it sounds like someone had a hectic holiday! (Why are socks always lost in odd numbers?)

I wish you luck with their -- erm-- YOUR resolutions! That "I didn't know it was tomorrow" bit irritates me to no end too. I could tell him a month in advance, put it on the calendar, enter it in his cell phone with a reminder and he'd still forget.

Here's hoping to a blessed 2011 for you and yours.

Sarah said...

lol about searching foodnetwork.com at 5:30. At least he attempts to take a turn to cook dinner though! If I tell my husband I don't have a meal planned/ prepared we either have macaroni and cheese or carry out! Happy New Year to you and the boys.

SpontaneousMom said...

LOL- my kids and husband do the same thing! they must have all read the same instruction manual. LOL!
and I swear- my pre-teen daughter is the BIGGEST lallygagger ever! (not sure if that's a real word?) So maybe this year she can practice doing things that she is supposed to do- when she is suppose to. Like going to get in the shower when she is asked instead of for some reason finding the need to completley re-arrange her room 1st.....

Anonymous said...

Hi Abby,

I am planning on taking your Personal Essay class in March. I took Christina's Writing and Publishing The Short Stuff this past Nov/Dec. and really enjoyed it. Found your blog through her and love the anecdotes about the kids. My youngest is five now but I can relate to a lot of what you talk about.

Loved the resolutions for others! You might be on to something. :)

Mom2Miles said...

That's great, Hallie! Sure I can't talk you into taking the class that starts on Weds. 1/12? Still looking for a few more students. :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails