11/24/09

Tofurky Time!

I’ve been a vegetarian for more than 23 years. (Typing that number just now I almost had a coronary, realizing how old that makes me!) Ever since junior high, when I just couldn’t take my mother’s cooking anymore. I think it was the ham rollups stuffed with ricotta and raisins that put me over the edge.

Don’t get me wrong, my mom is a good cook, if perhaps a little overly creative at times. I certainly appreciate her efforts a lot more now that I have to feed my own (picky) family, night after night.

So obviously, I was not raised vegetarian. I ate my share of Happy Meals and hot dogs. But somewhere along the line, meat began to gross me out. The thought, the texture. It may have also had something to do with reading Upton Sinclair’s “The Jungle,” in English class. (Tip for happy carnivores: DON'T. You’ll never look at a burger the same way again.)

It started out as kind of an experiment. How long could I go without eating meat? Would I miss it? Would my iron levels plummet, making me weak and anemic and stunting my growth? (My mother’s fear.) The answers: a long, long time; no; and no.

I developed a snappy retort for all those people who asked, incredulously, “But if you don’t eat meat, what DO you eat?” Answer: “Everything else.” To be specific, I eat pasta, eggs, beans, nuts, peanut butter, and a range of soy products from the excellent Morningstar Farms brand. I am not a strict vegetarian, because I have been known to eat soup made from chicken broth, and I do eat seafood from time to time.

My husband is not a vegetarian, nor are my kids -- except sort of, by default, since I do most of the cooking. C. sometimes complains that we eat too many carbs, and blames any extra pounds on our meat-free meals. I tell him, “Cook yourself a steak, then.” I can abide meat in my house, even in my pots and pans, but don’t expect me to cook it. That's like asking a deaf man to compose a symphony. Oh, wait, Beethoven...

Anyway, Miles enjoys the occasional turkey sandwich, hot dog, or nuggets at Chick-fil-A, but he just as happily munches soy-based “Chik’n nuggets” and black bean tacos. Riley has yet to have his first taste of meat. (I don’t know about you, but I find the pureed, jarred baby-food meat nas-TY!)

It’s much more common to be a vegetarian these days, so I’m not as much of an oddball as I once was. Except on Thanksgiving. No one can believe that even on this great American holiday, I don’t let one bite of the bird pass my lips. Not that a hunk of steaming flesh sawed off a crispy bird carcass isn’t appealing and all. ;) But there’s so much other food at Thanksgiving – vegetables, even! – that I don’t miss it a bit.

In case you’re wondering, yes, I have tried the whimsically named “Tofurky.” Once, with some friends. We pretty much all agreed it looked, smelled, and tasted disgusting. And the texture... Yeeuuuccchhhh!

So I’ll just stick to the green beans, squash, and stuffing, thanks. That leaves more bird carcass for the rest of you!

READS O’ THE WEEK: One of my former students wrote this column about what happened when her teen daughter gave up meat. And here's an essay about the challenges of putting a strict vegetarian through preschool.

8 comments:

Carrie said...

When my husband first declared he was going vegetarian his family scoffed. He was definitely a meat and potatoes kind of guy. But it's been 4 years and neither he nor I have any intention on going back.

I haven't tried tofurky and I doubt I will. The package itself really turns me off so I can only imagine what the food inside will taste like

Jenni said...

I love this post, Abby! I don't usually shamelessly promote my own blog in comments, but I thought you might get a chuckle out of one of my recent posts:
http://writethejourney.wordpress.com/2009/09/25/meat-eater-in-the-house/

My boy just ain't his mama's when it comes to meat!

Happy (Tofurky-less) Thanksgiving!

Mom2Miles said...

Great post, Jenni! I'll be interested to see whether my boys grow up to be vegetarians or not.

Shannon @ AnchorMommy said...

What??? How did I not know you're a vegetarian? Your story sounds almost exactly like mine! Except my mom really wasn't experimental and she was a great cook. And I didn't go vegetarian until I was about 16, which means I've been eating this way for about 17 years. But I started feeling the same way -- the texture of meat just really started grossing me out, and I just stopped eating it, much to my mother's dismay. But she got over it, and I'm just fine. Had a vegetarian pregnancy, and my kid's just fine too -- he has all his appendages.

And OMG that question! That ever-present and eternal question when people find out you're a vegetarian. I've heard it more times than I can count! I LOVE your answer.

Vegetarians, unite!

Shannon @ AnchorMommy said...

P.S. -- I've never tried Tofurky, never wanted to, and now I definitely never will!!! Especially not when there are delicious mashed potatoes to be had...

Name: Holly Bowne said...

You know, you're right. There is so much food at Thanksgiving anyway, you're probably completely full without ever missing eating any bird! I'm presenting you with a blog award over at my blog. Come by to pick it up when you get a chance!

Kelli @ writing the waves said...

Funny you posted this because I've been contemplating the whole vegetarian thing lately or at least decreasing our family's meat intake pretty substantially. I figure if I do it gradually, then maybe my husband won't be so hard to convince. We'll see!

Crysi said...

we get the same type of questions because Adia's gluten free. What in the world can she eat? Umm.. lots and I can make bread, muffins, cookies, etc.

I did go a few years without eating beef after reading Fast Food Nation.

Related Posts with Thumbnails