8/13/09

Baby: 165, Mom: 0

The baby is winning. The score is Baby: 165, Mom: 0. The 165 represents the approximate number of nights since Riley was born. The 0 is how many of those I’ve gotten a full night’s sleep. Just to reiterate, that’s ZERO, people.

Now, the “sleeping through the night” concept is about as clear as mud. The baby books consider 5 consecutive hours to be sleeping through the night. My neighbor’s baby sleeps from 8 p.m. to 8 a.m. I’d even take 12:30 to 5:30 a.m. at this point. But however you define it, MY BABY ISN’T DOING IT.

It shouldn’t be that big of a shock, since my first baby didn’t sleep through the night until I had completely stopped breastfeeding him around 10 mos. But while Miles woke up, it was generally only once, around 2 a.m. or so, and he’d nurse and go right back to sleep. Whereas Riley is ready to rock at 11 p.m., 2, 4, and 5:30 a.m. Sometimes he throws in a 1 a.m. show just for the heck of it. He’ll be wide awake, yelling and hollering, like, “Will someone get in here and entertain me already?” And don’t even THINK about letting him cry it out because everyone in our zip code would pay dearly for that mistake.

Miles was no piece of cake as a baby, but I knew even back then he was a good sleeper. He decided on his own bedtime around 3 mos. Then we just fed him, rolled him into the crib, and left the room. We could watch entire movies in one evening after we put him down. We had it made.

So this whole “sleep training” concept was foreign to me. I read all the books (OK, skimmed them), but all the tricks and tips for getting your baby to sleep like moving the chair closer and closer to the door each night struck me as pure insanity.

Of course now, I’d try all those things in a heartbeat -- except for the fact that we have a 3-year-old asleep in the next room. Can someone tell me why none of the sleep books mention siblings? Does Dr. Weissbluth honestly expect me to let my baby scream for A FULL HOUR at 3 a.m. when his brother’s trying to catch some Z’s next door? And did I mention JUST HOW LOUD my baby’s scream is? It makes Mariah Carey sound like she’s whispering when she hits those high notes.

We’ve tried instituting a solid bedtime routine, with a bath and lavender-scented lotion and soft music. We’ve tried letting him fuss for short periods to see if he falls back to sleep. We’ve tried sending Dad into the room to settle him back down with the pacifier. This just pisses him off. (Riley, not Dad. Well, maybe him, too.) We’ve started him on solids already and even given him formula at night. We’ve put him on reflux meds. None of this makes any difference whatsoever.

I suspect it’s because there’s nothing really wrong with this baby. He’s just a huge mama’s boy. He can’t stand to be separated from me for more than 3 hrs. at a time. Sometimes, even an hour is too much. Like at the gym the other day, when they pulled me out of a yoga class to tell me they couldn’t calm him down. (Really? An entire staff of childcare professionals can’t calm a crying baby? Even for an hour? Might want to rethink your line of work then.)

Anyway, I walked into the kids’ area and picked up my red-faced, screaming baby. He shut off the waterworks like a faucet. With tears still glistening on his cheeks, he looked at me with an enormous gummy grin that said, “Mama! You’ve come back to me at last! Let us never be separated again, my love.”

OK, but does that have to include the hours between 11 p.m. and 6 a.m.?

VIDEO O’ THE WEEK: Riley can’t get enough of his rice cereal.

12 comments:

sarah said...

I feel your pain. My daughter just started sleeping through the night about a month ago...

Sarah said...

My little guy was waking up at midnight, two, and five for the longest time. He wouldn't go back to sleep without nursing. The kid hates a pacifier. Finally, I couldn't take it anymore. Once when out for a jog I saw a bus and thought, "Hmmm... if I get run over by that bus then I can get some sleep!" It was then I decided I had to do something.

I went for the Dr. Weissbluth method of just letting him cry. Bless his heart, he only cried about half an hour and went back to sleep. It took three nights of this and now that he's six months old he finally sleeps from 7 to 7. I have NO IDEA what to do about the sibling situation!! Would Miles tolerate ear plugs? :) Good luck.

Crysi said...

Sounds very familiar, but I have twins! One baby usually sleeps well, but the other, nope. I'm lucky if I can get her to sleep and then their 2 year old sister is trying to sleep as well.

K said...

Oh, I completely understand. We were like that with our first daughter, and I'm sorry to say that it went on for months. But then we started having my hubby go into her bedroom at night (at first one of the 3-4 times she woke up) and we found out that she didn't need to nurse and he got her back to sleep. Then he started going in 2 of the 3-4 times, until all she needed was to nurse once. It took several weeks to do this, but it was a lifesaver for me because I was so sleep deprived I was starting to feel depressed. I sure hope it won't take so long for your baby to sleep for longer periods of time. Hang in there!

Kelli @ writing the waves said...

I SOOOO know what you are going through. My little guy did the same thing. I read all the books, tried the suggestions, nothing seemed to work...until he was a little older. Until he was around 9 or 10 months, he just wanted his mama.

Jodi Mindell's book "Sleeping Through the Night" was most helpful to me. Her suggestions seemed more practical. Also - the thing that helped most so that Abby wouldn't wake up when Noah cried (or vice versa), we put a small fan in each of their rooms on the highest setting to block out the noise. I still do it to this day.

I know it's hard running on no sleep. I hope it gets better for you soon.

Mom2Miles said...

Thanks for the support, gals! All your suggestions are noted & appreciated. Sleep deprivation really does do bad things to a person. It's good to know that other people got through it.

Crysi: twins!! OMG!

Scott said...

Heres a great link for music for babies! http://www.diyfather.com/content/dads-music-for-babies

tineroche said...

I'm so sorry, I wish I could be of any help but I had the same problems with my first. But I have to tell you I laughed sooooooo hard when I saw the video of Riley and the rice cereal. Thanks for making my evening. That was too much!

Lady Mama said...

I wondered about Dr Weissbluth's suggestion as well, as we have a 7 month-old and a 2 year old. My youngest son still doesn't sleep through the night. It's only recently that he's started only being up once a night, which is a relief. But I feel your pain.

Loukia said...

Oh man, I'm sorry! What about co-sleeping? Are you a fan? Whenever my baby (who is now 18 months old) wakes up, usually at 1 a.m., I just bring him to bed with me... hubby goes to bed with our 4 year old. It works out great, because he is asleep instantly, and I love sleeping him! Good luck... you must be tired! Not fun at all.

Kakes said...

I'm going throught the exact same thing with my lil man...he doesnt want me out of his sight for more than hour! And wakes up more than 2-3 times a night, its soooo exhausting!

When I reach breaking point, I just think how fast they grow...in another year he would be squirming out of my arms, ready to explore the world. And in another few years he would be telling me "Dont kiss me in front of my friends mom!".

Love the video!

Anonymous said...

I love that video!!! I teared up reading your post...although my baby is only 1 month old...I can somehow sense this is exactly what I will be going through...

Related Posts with Thumbnails