7/8/09

Why Milestones Don't Matter

Sometimes it can seem like new moms are competing in the childrearing Olympics. HER baby’s already crawling! MY baby can’t even roll over yet! And look at THAT baby, he’s practically walking! Now, I’m as guilty of this as anyone, especially when it came to potty training -- I would sneak a peek at the back of Miles’ playmates’ pants to see if they were wearing Pull-ups or underwear. It made me feel better if I spotted training pants. “Thank goodness we’re not the ONLY ones,” I’d think.

But I’ve been on the other side of things, too. An acquaintance with a boy the same age as mine stopped calling us after one playdate where my son chattered away while hers grunted and pointed at toys. I heard through the grapevine that she was terribly insecure about what she perceived as her son’s delayed verbal skills. By the way, there’s nothing wrong with her kid’s speech now. All babies develop differently. Unless you have real cause for concern, get over it! Read more about why milestones don’t matter at TheBump.com:

2 comments:

Kimberly said...

Great article on the bump! I'm glad you wrote about this topic, because I might find myself worrying if my newborn's milestones aren't the same as her older sisters. You helped me to remember that everyone's different and that's okay!

Charndra at Part Time Diaper Free! said...

Sage advice. It is something to learn to cope with with experience and by *believing* the words of others before you.

Of course it doesn't help that baby clinics are so 'structured' shall I say about what baby should be doing and when.

I took my 2nd baby to his 6 wk checkup at 8 weeks. The nurse was 'did he smile at 6 weeks?' I said - look, he's smiling now!

She said "But was he smiling at 6 weeks?"

MORON.

Charndra

Related Posts with Thumbnails