11/20/08

Events Beyond My Control

I quit. I’m done with potty training. For now, at least. Oh, the highs were so very high -- like the one and only time Miles pooped on the potty, right before we had to leave for church. Perfect timing, perfect execution. Choirs of angels sang from the heavens! Afterwards we got donuts, went to Target, and picked out his long-promised Lightning McQueen scooter as a reward.

But the lows were so very low. Because I can only take so much potty talk myself, I will spare you most of the gory details. Suffice it to say it was like having a newborn again in terms of wardrobe changes and laundry, only with an added degree of frustration because I’d thought we were past that point. Plus, there were sitters and teachers involved this time. It didn’t seem fair to them.

So we took away the scooter, packed up the big-boy underpants, and we’re setting aside the whole issue for awhile. So much for checking this task off my to-do list before the new baby arrives.

Really, this is just one more reminder of what I can’t control. I can’t control the fact that my husband, like so many other people we know, may be without a job come January. Just in time for the new baby. Perfect. I can’t control the fact that we live in an old house with drafts in some places strong enough to blow your hair back. I can’t control the fact that several nights lately I have had pregnancy-induced insomnia, Miles has a hacking cough, and we all get so little sleep we can barely function the next day.

But I CAN control which things I choose to stress out about. So I’m over the potty training for now. Done. I’m not even that worried about C.’s job. We’ve been through a job loss before, we’ll get through it again. It’s not like we have to keep up with our Hummer payments or the mortgage on a McMansion. And I’m not that worried about Christmas; I’m a smart shopper, and nobody on my list expects extravagant things. Fortunately, Miles is still too young to care about the quantity (or even quality) of presents under the tree. A couple of Matchbox cars and he’s set.

I’m actually becoming quite skilled at feeding a family on a budget. It helps that I, and therefore my family, eat mostly vegetarian. The Chik-fil-A near us offers free kids’ meals with an adult meal on Wednesdays, and all three of us can eat at Chipotle for about $10 or so. Plus, being pregnant dramatically reduces your household alcohol consumption. How’s that for looking on the bright side?

So at least I can control some things in these crazy times. Unlike, say, my son and his bowels.

RECIPE O’ THE WEEK: Who knew you could whip up a healthy gourmet meal with little more than some pancake mix, frozen veggies, and cheese? Thanks, Giada!

PRAYER O’ THE WEEK: Miles’ best friend Oliver is going into the hospital tomorrow for a major operation. Poor little guy. :( Please keep him in your prayers.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I love how positive you are being about all of it! You are right to not let things stress you out, you don't need that right now.

Spin Mama said...

Don't think of it as giving up on the potty training -- think of it as rescheduling. The right time will come, and next time will be MUCH easier than this time!

Jenni said...

Good for you for putting away the potty training for awhile. If they're not ready, they're not ready, they say. I've heard to never get into a power struggle over anything going in or anything coming out!

Good luck with the job uncertainty. Yikes. That is scary but it sounds like the letting go is helpful.

Have you read today's renegade writer post? It made me feel better to know that it's universal.

I've only read a couple of entries, but I like your blog--I'll visit more! Thanks for sharing--

http://www.writethejourney.wordpress.com

Kelli @ writing the waves said...

I hope all went well with Oliver's operation.

Good luck with the job situation too. We are in the same boat right now too. I may have to check out the free kids meals at Chick-Fil-A. Thanks for the tip!

Related Posts with Thumbnails