8/19/08

Good Day or Bad Day?

I often wake up and wonder, will today be a good day or a bad day? It could go either way…

Good Day: Miles wakes up at 7 a.m. and spends the next 30 min. happily talking to himself and playing in his crib.

Bad Day: Miles wakes up crying at 5:30 a.m. when the door closes behind Dad, leaving for work. Attempts to get him to go back to sleep or snuggle with Mom are rudely spurned.

*******

Good Day: I walk into Miles’ room in the morning and find that his dad picked up all the toys, put the books back on the shelves, and put the dirty clothes in the hamper the night before.

Bad Day: I walk into Miles’ room in the morning and find that he has had a diaper blowout, covering himself, his bedding, and all his blankies and stuffed animals with poo.

*******

Good Day: Miles gobbles down an egg and spinach omelet, with a side of whole wheat toast and strawberries.

Bad Day: Miles rejects every healthy food item he’s offered all day, even things I’ve spent a half-hour preparing, letting only cheese popcorn and lemonade pass his lips.

*******

Good Day: Miles actually follows directions in his toddler gym class, amuses himself at home playing with his trains, is extra-snuggly at naptime, and in the afternoon, a neighbor calls to invite us over for an impromptu playdate and a glass of wine.

Bad Day: Story time’s canceled, it’s too hot for the playground, no one’s around, and Dad’s working late.

*******

Good Day: Miles cooperates when it’s time to get dressed, helps find his shoes, and skips out the door.

Bad Day: He argues about what shirt to wear, cries when we can’t find his Crocs, whines that he wants to stay home instead of going out, and throws a fit if I don’t let him open the door by himself.

*******

Good Day: I am able to effortlessly balance taking care of my son, working from home, and attending to family and household responsibilities, even squeezing in a workout, taking the dog for a walk, and being genuinely happy to spend time with my husband at the end of the day.

Bad Day: The kid’s being a brat, I’m tired, nothing gets done, there’s dog hair everywhere, the smell from the fridge could kill a horse, I’m so annoyed by the time my husband gets home that I can barely look at him, and I wonder how the hell I ever thought I could do this wife and mother thing.

And then, of course, there are the in-between days. Like today. My house is a mess. My kid won’t eat. My husband has left a different pair of boat-sized shoes in every room of the house. I haven’t filled out the school forms that are due in a few days. But I did manage to shower, do some work, and had fun playing blocks with Miles. And some days that’s enough for this mom.

READ O’ THE WEEK (MOMS): Petite Anglaise by Catherine Sanderson, is a true story about a British blogger and mother of a toddler in Paris. I just started it, but I’ve gotten to the part where she begins a torrid affair with one of her readers. C: don’t worry. Somehow, I don’t think any tall, handsome English guys are reading my blog. Then again, who knows…?

READ O’ THE WEEK (KIDS): My mom has a book at her house that my 2-year-old son, 18-month-old niece, and a kindergartener she tutored were all equally enthralled with: No, David! by David Shannon. Tells you something that kids relate to a book in which the primary word is “no,” huh?

7 comments:

Andrew McAllister said...

I absolutely remember those days (many of which I spent with the kids because we both worked at times) and you have described the ups and downs with amazing accuracy. And at the time people said to me "just wait until they are teenagers if you want stress." And I didn't believe them. I now have 3 teenagers. I'm still not sure whether to believe them.

Good luck finding more good days than bad! :)

Kelli @ writing the waves said...

I often wonder the same thing myself...it doesn't take much to set things off in a tailspin around here.

And I LOVE the David books. They are my absolute favorite! So clever and the illustrations crack me up.

Mom2Miles said...

Kelli, does that mean the book's part of a series? I'll have to go looking for the others.

Mom2Miles said...

Andrew, I hate when people say "wait till they're teenagers." Even if they mean well, it minimizes my feelings & makes me think, "Oh, great, something to look forward to..." At any age, there are good things & bad things.

Anonymous said...

I love this post! Well put, my friend!

Kelli @ writing the waves said...

Yes, they are part of a series...

David Goes to School
David Gets in Trouble
Oops! (board book)
David Smells (board book)

...and I think there is one more board book, but I can't remember right now.

David Shannon has some other great stories too. I've used quite a few for read alouds with my students in the past. The kids love his books. :)

Anonymous said...

What a great post! I think most days are a combination of good and bad. We have the shirt argument frequently, especially as my son wants to wear his Buzz Lightyear shirt nearly every day (I think I wash it in every single load of laundry I do).

As for Petite Anglaise, she's definitely awesome. I read the book shortly after it was published, and have been reading her blog (http://www.petiteanglaise.com/) for years. Her blog is excellent.

Related Posts with Thumbnails