9/10/07

Month 16: Is it Bedtime Yet?

My parents came to visit this weekend. My mom arrived with a complete fall wardrobe for Miles. He's now got a rugged quilted vest for outdoorsy activities, a sporty dump truck sweatshirt for the gym, and a crisp khakis-and-doggie sweater vest ensemble to wear to ... I don't know, his toddler book club?? The kid dresses better than I do, that's for sure.

We went out to dinner one night and my mom remarked that my flowy Old Navy top looked like a maternity shirt. And there I was thinking I was looking stylish for once! Anyway, we had a very nice weekend, filled with multigenerational fun. Which mostly consisted of sitting around watching Miles do funny things, like spin in circles and shout "Moo!" at any toy with a tail.

I have to admit I felt pretty vindicated when my mom, clearly exhausted, asked at 6:50 one night, "Is it his bedtime yet?" There's been many an evening when I counted the minutes until 7:30 p.m., a big bottle of wine waiting in the wings. Not that anyone accuses me of spending my days lying on the couch eating bon-bons ... but still, it's nice to have someone else recognize the rigors of my daily life.

The other day I called my neighbor around 3 p.m. to see if she and her 2-year-old were available for a playdate. Miles had woken up from his afternoon nap (1 -2:10 p.m.) and the long afternoon loomed. I thought the point of one nap is that kids sleep LONGER. Miles? Not so much. My neighbor called back at 4:30 and said, "Oh, we both just woke up from a 3-hour nap!" I hate her.

My pediatrician, however, never fails to remind me that I'm lucky I've got an all-night sleeper. Except for the fact that Miles wakes up before 7 a.m. EVEN ON WEEKENDS, I really can't complain. I mean I can, and I do. But it could be worse, I know. It's just that in my pre-baby life, I never knew how bad weekend morning shows were. And I was happy in my ignorance. Also, I relished late-night reruns of "The Fresh Prince." And now I can't even stay up past prime time. In fact, it's going on 9:30 p.m. I'm calling it a night.

TIP O' THE WEEK: I'd like to give a shout-out to some new moms: my real-world friend E.M. and her gorgeous girl, Luisa, and my virtual friend Dooneybug and her new baby girl! Congrats, ladies!!

2 comments:

Shawn said...

I know all about the flowy shirts, and thinking I'm stylish. Dressing stylish is definitely gone. There's always another baby thing to buy ... a house repair to make.

And, yes, I totally get the countdown to bedtime. We actually start our "routine" at 6 p.m., which is nice for me. And, that routine lasts about 45 minutes factoring in bath, brushing teeth, playtime, etc. Of course, we have to do everything twice which adds to the time.

Complain all you want! We all do.

Mom2Miles said...

Hmm, maybe I could start the process earlier. "It's 5 pm, sweetie! Time to start getting ready for bed." :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails