10/29/06

Month 5: Mysteries of the Universe

How can I love someone so much who’s only been alive for 4 ½ months? I have lettuce in my fridge older than that.

How can I love someone so much who’s constantly grabbing fistfuls of my hair and pulling REALLY HARD?

How can I love someone so much whose idea of fun is cramming his socks into his mouth?

How can I change a sopping wet diaper, undershirt, and sleeper* without opening both eyes when I can’t cross my bedroom without banging my shin on the bed?

How can the baby nurse, burp, and repeat without opening his eyes when he couldn’t find his own foot until recently?

How can I be bored to tears some days when I’m too busy to brush my teeth?

How can I be lonely when I am never alone anymore?

How can I be giddily happy and so sad I can’t breathe in the same day?

How does spit-up get in the baby’s ear when he’s lying on his stomach?

How can the baby be crying hysterically one second and dead asleep the next?

How can the baby grow 6 inches taller in 4 months and his hair not grow a millimeter?

How come on the rare occasions the baby sleeps through the night I’m wide awake worrying that something’s wrong?

*Update: Huggies Overnites = Godsend.

3 comments:

Stephanie said...

Ahh, the mysteries of life!

Anonymous said...

My son is now almost 5 mos old and I'm just now finding time to read these blogs. Even though I knew I wasn't alone ... I felt alone. But boy ... what a relief to be able to finally connect with someone other than my infant for a change. This one made me cry because it described the reality in my life. Thank you for saving my sanity.

Mom2Miles said...

You're never alone! We're all in the trenches together, sister. Thanks so much for your comments!

Related Posts with Thumbnails