4/8/10

The Myth of the TV Baby

Have you seen the show “Accidentally On Purpose”? It’s kind of loosely based on the premise of the movie “Knocked Up” -- a 30-something single career woman gets pregnant during a one-night stand with a less-than-perfect guy. Hilarity ensues. Only in the case of this show, it doesn’t.

I keep forcing myself to watch it now and then because it’s a show I SHOULD be interested in. It’s about pregnancy and babies, for pete’s sake! It stars the adorable Jenna Elfman. She’s even a writer! What’s not to like?

It’s got its moments, I suppose, but scenes like the one in last night’s episode really turn me off. These slacker dudes are fantasizing about a hot baby nurse and breastfeeding. Ew. Anyone who’s ever witnessed cracked nipples, engorged or leaky boobs, nursing bras, etc. knows there’s NOTHING sexy about breastfeeding. What is it with guys and boobs?

I watch plenty of other shows largely because they feature babies. (You’d think I’d want escapism in my entertainment, but you’d be wrong. Realism all the way. Only funnier and prettier than my life, of course.) I LOVE “Modern Family,” and I feel baby Lily gets way too little screen time. In fact, I frequently annoy my husband by saying, “Where’s the baby? Both the parents are out and there was no mention of a babysitter. Where is she?!” Yes, I want it spelled out!

On “Cougar Town” it bugs me no end that the next door neighbors have a baby that only occasionally makes an appearance. The kid looks to be about 7 or 8 mos. old, maybe. He can’t be sleeping ALL the time. They’ve never mentioned a sitter or nanny, and have maybe once shown a baby monitor. The mother, Ellie, is always taking naps and having lunch and playing tennis, no baby in sight, never glancing at her watch.

Come on, people!! Get real. I want calls from the sitter, emergency trips to the pediatrician, even the stray spit-up stained shirt. I want to see diaper boxes, bottles, wipes on every counter, binkies and blankies everywhere. I want to hear the adults talking about teething, asking whether he’s started crawling yet, what his first word was. SOMETHING to indicate there’s a baby around!

Life does not simply go on as usual once a baby comes along, with the tot making only the occasional appearance to coo or smile. You don’t get to go back to who you were before, just with a snuggly little accessory on the side that conveniently shows up every few episodes. No way, sister.

Of course, it goes both ways. One of the reasons I stopped watching “Parenthood” was that it was a little TOO real, and too depressing. The same with the movie, “Motherhood.” Too close to home to qualify as entertainment. Got my own dramas, thanks.

What do you guys think? What are some of your favorite mom-related shows and movies?

6 comments:

mommytojenna said...

I DVR all those shows!! Modern Family I love love love - when they bumped Lily's head and went to the ped - amazing! and when they were ferberizing her - too perfect! And Parenthood, I'm still watching and crying for the hour because it is way tooclose to home!

tineroche said...

I watch Modern Family and I think it's hilarious. I also love Tori and Dean and I'm very excited it's back on. I actually missed the premier but I know they will show it a hundred times so I'm not worried. Unfortunately I also have to admit that I watch Baby Story, Bringing Home Baby etc. I know you think I'm nuts with my own two at home but for some reason I just love seeing other people either being 'so perfect'(?) or having the same issues!

Melinda Leigh said...

I too am always wondering about baby Lily. I use "Modern Family" to explain Ferberizing to non-parent friends! I made the mistake of watching the first season of "thirty something" during maternity leave. Good, but way too realistic at the time. Their baby crying on top of my own was too much.

Kathleen@so much to say, so little time said...

There you go--the next "reality" TV series: Real Life with Babies.

Yeah, riiiiigght.

I don't watch any of those shows...absolutely not my thing. :) I know it would just infuriate me, so I don't b other. :) Parenthood looks like it could be fun, actually, but I don't even have time to watch LOST--have to banish the kids to hte basement so I can watch it on the computer LOL!

Shannon @ AnchorMommy said...

I don't really watch those shows, because I'm one of the few people left on the planet without a DVR. But I did catch a bit of "Cougar Town" and I don't think I'll go back to that one. I agree with you -- where are the kids while the mothers are trying to get the attention of their cute tennis instructor? I know it's just a sitcom, but it needs to be a little more real-life for me to connect.

Angie Mizzell said...

Maybe this is why we watch 90210, Gossip Girl and One Tree Hill. I have about 3 or 4 episodes of Parenthood on the DVR that I still haven't watched. I'm going to take your word for it and delete them.

Related Posts with Thumbnails