12/21/09

Joy to the World, the Baby Slept!

Joy to the world, the baby slept!
He slept right through the night;
From 7 p.m. to 6 a.m.,
He let mama and dada sleep,
He let mama and dada sleep,
He let mama, poor mama, and dada sleep!

That’s right, people. Riley slept through the night for the FIRST. TIME. EVER. In his nearly 10 mos. of life, that’s an unprecedented event. (Except for that one time he had a fever and slept for 7 hrs. but that doesn’t count.) Not only that, but he’s done it 3 nights in a row.

It’s almost as if he KNEW I was at the end of my rope. Either that, or it was letting him cry for 45 min. straight the first night. Here’s what happened: I reread Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child by Dr. Marc Weissbluth. I really can’t recommend this book enough. It’s not light reading, but you don’t have to read it cover to cover, either. You can dip in and out as needed.

The book reinforced what I guess I already knew: that at 9 mos. old, Riley does not need to be waking up 1-4x/night. In fact, I’m doing him a disservice by responding to him, because I’m not allowing him to get the rest he needs. Also, Weissbluth is a bit of a nap nazi. So for 3 days straight, I made sure Riley was down at 9 a.m., 2 p.m. and in bed by 7 p.m. And it WORKED!!!

I don’t think it’s so much that the book was a miracle solution, but rather it’s due to a combination of factors, including stopping nursing, his age, and giving him more food. (I switched from 6 oz. to 8 oz. of formula at night and 1 jar of baby food per meal to 2.)

Anyway, I don’t need to tell you the thrill I felt when I heard him stirring -- first clue something was different: he was cooing, not crying -- and I looked at the clock expecting it to say 3 a.m. and it said 6:24 a.m. I immediately woke up my husband to tell him the good news! :)

I also don’t need to tell anybody who’s ever suffered an extended bout of sleep deprivation what a HUGE difference an uninterrupted night’s sleep makes to a person’s wellbeing. I was a ball of Christmas spirit the next day! Adding to my festive mood was the 16-inch snowfall (!!) we got. Made all the more wonderful because it happened on a weekend and Daddy was home to shovel it and take Miles out to play in it for hours!

Meanwhile, I policed Riley’s naps, got the house in order (including going through the foot-high stack of mail on the counter), organized and uploaded all the pictures and videos, displayed the Christmas cards, put away laundry, changed sheets. You know, all those things you don’t have time to do during the week with 2 hooligans underfoot. Also, C. prepared almost ALL the meals. Heaven! Of course, his fancy-schmancy strawberry French toast and tuna melts are going to be a tough act to follow, but whatever.

Now that I’m feeling rested and festive and grateful, I’d like to extend a sincere thank-you to all my faithful readers and commenters out there. Seriously, you don’t know (or maybe you do!) what a boost you give me. It really is like having a virtual community of moms who are in the trenches with you. Hugs all around!

LINK O’ THE WEEK: Writer and mom Holly Bowne shares 20 Tips for Savoring the Holidays. I commented that some days my gratitude list includes only “babysitters” and “wine.”

8 comments:

Kelli @ writing the waves said...

Now that is definitely something to be joyful about!!! So glad he is finally sleeping for you. YAY!!! I saw a onesie the other day that said - All mommy wants for Christmas is a silent night. Wishing you many more silent nights in your house! Merry Christmas!

Kathleen@so much to say, so little time said...

Hurrah! I have never gotten through that book. Naps are really hard for us with the third child--I'm kind of a nap nazi too but now that we're in the car picking up from preschool, it kind of throws all that out the window.

I hope sleeping through continues for you!

Mom2Miles said...

Thanks, ladies! Yes, I've never been able to figure out how people make naps work w/ several kids. It's hard enough w/ 2, let alone 3.

April said...

i love that book too! It saved my sister with her twins and so I grabbed it. Even though my son is three....I finally broke down and ordered the most recent edition on Amazon. You are right you don't have to read it cover to cover at all. And it has some wonderful points in it....that apply to adults too! so happy he is sleeping for you now!

Loukia said...

YAY YAY YAY! That is awesome news! Totally an early Christmas present for you, huh? Enjoy the holidays with your lovely family - Merry Christmas and all the best in 2010!!!

tineroche said...

YOHOOOOO!!!! I'm so happy for you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Now I hope my little one will do that one day too! But he is 'only' six months.

Jenni said...

Hallelujah!! Congratulations--that is WONDERFUL news. Yes, I do remember well the sleep-deprived days and nights. Welcome back to the world :) and happy holidays!

PureBabySlings said...

Yeah! That's great news! Very happy for you and may your 2010 be filled with many peaceful nights!

http://www.purebabyslings.com

Related Posts with Thumbnails