8/21/09

Gestation Is Not for the Weak

Every time I meet someone who's about to have a baby, I am reminded that pregnancy is no piece of cake. It's not a 9-mo. pass to lie around and eat all the ice cream you want while your supportive mate rubs your feet. You don't feel glowing and gorgeous and sexy at all times, no matter what Angelina Jolie claims.

Nope, for most of us, pregnancy involves freak health symptoms ranging from weird spots and discolorations on your face to horrendous varicose veins and worse. Much, much worse. And then there are the emotional ups and downs.

Wait ... where was I going with this? Oh, right: pregnancy is HARD. It takes a strong person to survive 9 mos. of this stuff. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Of course, the prize you get at the end sure is worth it.

This post on TheBump.com is in honor of my friend T. who had her third baby yesterday: a girl named Vivianna! Congrats, Mama! And welcome to the world, Baby Vivi!

3 comments:

Melinda Leigh said...

With 5 weeks to go, just have to say a big Amen to this post. I'm over being pregnant. Add to the weirdo list of pregnancy side effects: a kideny stone and a (small, at least) hemangioma.

Mom2Miles said...

I don't even know what that second one IS!! Hang in there, Melinda, there's a light at the end of the tunnel! :)

K said...

Great article!

What I wish is that someone had told me how hard the second pregnancy is on the body. I'm dealing with diastasis (the muscle wall didn't come back together this time), LOTS of extra skin (all wrinkly on my time), and boobs that don't have that 'bounce' (nursing round the clock again takes its demands)! It's comforting reading your article and knowing that I'm not alone, but I am baffled how moms go through pregnancy several times. I know of a lady who had 22 children, no twins! Whew!

Related Posts with Thumbnails