1/5/09

Alone at Last

This morning I found myself in a strange and unfamiliar situation … alone. Miles went back to school today and C. started his new job. He was off for 2 weeks over the holidays, which was great and unexpected. We went from seeing him maybe an hour a day to having him around all the time. Miles was thrilled to have unlimited Daddy time, and I was glad to have some backup, especially now that my belly is bigger than a VW Bug. Kinda makes it hard to wrestle a toddler into the bathtub, you know?

Although it did take me some time to adjust. At first, I’d come downstairs in the morning (after sleeping in a blissful extra half-hour) to find the guys still in their PJs, watching TV, and eating cereal out of the box. And I was all, “The routine!! You’re messing up the routine! Don’t you know he’s got to be dressed by 8:15 and he needs to eat some breakfast with protein or the ENTIRE DAY will be SHOT to HELL?!” OK, maybe I wasn’t quite that bad. But what can I say, I’m used to parenting on my own.

Then once I got used to having a co-parent around, I couldn’t imagine it any other way. I went to the gym! Took naps! Ate sitting down! Went to the bathroom by myself! Showered regularly! It was heaven, I tell you. But now, sadly, it’s back to reality.

When I found myself alone this morning, I couldn’t even remember what I used to do. Oh, yeah—write. So here I am, updating my blog, returning e-mail, and reminding everyone about the next session of my 6-week online writing class, Personal Essays that Get Published, which begins Jan. 14.

Let me take a moment to brag about some former students. One got an essay included in an anthology, one got published on HybridMom.com, and another sold a piece to Southern Living. That’s the big leagues, people! My students are more successful than I am! Although I do have Big Writing News to share next month. But let’s not get ahead of myself…

Writing is one of those things that I love to do, yet I can very easily find reasons NOT to do it. For instance, I spent the last several weeks obsessing over home decorating decisions, sending out Christmas cards, arguing with online retailers over free shipping, and recycling the approximately 7 tons of cardboard and plastic that came into my house over the holidays.

Plus we had houseguests and parties and various other holiday activities to go to, and what was I going to say, “Sorry, I can’t come to your cookie exchange because I have to WRITE”? What am I, Hemingway or something? (BTW, Stephen King claims he writes 365 days a year. Of course, I guess you command a smidge more respect as a writer when you’re STEPHEN KING.)

And yet, I won’t allow myself to miss deadlines or disappoint blog readers (all 20 of you). I just can’t shirk that crushing responsibility; it’s who I am. So when I do finally find/make time to write after a break, I’m always newly surprised to find that I truly enjoy it and feel better after doing it. Kind of like going to the gym. Or cooking dinner that doesn’t come out of a box.

Anyway, here’s to finding time for what you love this year. Whether that’s hanging out with friends, writing, scrapbooking, rescuing Shar Peis, whatever. Bonus points if it allows you to be alone for whole hours at a time!

PLEA O’ THE WEEK: Please keep my friend S. in your thoughts. Her husband lost his job this week after 16 years with the same company. 3 kids, a mortgage, etc. I don’t know about you, but I’m ready for some GOOD news right about now.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a great job to teach online! I've thought about doing that.

April said...

Hi!
Does thinking about writing every day count? I enjoyed your class very much. It was the discipline I needed. When is part 2? congrats on the alone time.

katie said...

I hear ya, sister! My hubby is a teacher and so was home for 2 weeks to throw off the routine, give into every one of our toddler's irrational demands, and just make things seem slightly off-kilter. :) But, God love him, he did the morning and bedtime routines and I thoroughly enjoyed an extra half hour of sleep each day too!

Good luck with your writing resolutions. I am making some too; the biggest one being to take a Writer Mama class (most likely yours!) I'm looking forward to a full year of following your blog too. Probably sounds silly, but I get excited when a new post of yours shows up in my blog reader!

Happy New Year!
~katie at thedundeewriter

Mom2Miles said...

Thanks, Katie! You don't know what it means to this writer to have an enthusiastic audience. :) Sometimes knowing that people are reading is just the push I need to sit down at the computer. DO take one of Christina's or my writing class. I have found they always pay off in terms of contacts, motivation, etc.

Good to hear from you, April! You owe it to yourself to keep writing, girl.

MamaNeena: it IS a great gig, I have to say!

princealexsmomma said...

Hey Abby - I am totally interested in your class. I guess I am too late for this session, but would be interested in taking the May Session. Jamie

Related Posts with Thumbnails