12/10/08

What’s On My Mind

Sure, I could attempt to craft some thoughtful, eloquent post about the true meaning of the holidays or the childlike wonder that infuses us all at this time of year. But I won’t. Instead, I’ll give you a random, disjointed list of things that are currently on my mind. How’s that?

  • Why do I always experience Internet connection problems when I’m the only one home to deal with them? And why does it always happen when I’m waiting for a Very Important E-mail? And why does it take Miles’ entire naptime for Comcast to resolve the issue over the phone?
  • Does this baby in my belly hate me, or is its constant kicking and punching a reaction to what I’m eating? I’m sorry, kid, but when I’m stressed, I eat sugar!
  • ScroogeAre all the companies that are still in business run by Ebenezer Scrooge? How else do you explain laying off employees mere weeks before the holidays, or requiring remote workers to report to the (out-of-state) offices every single day through the end of the year? Also? What the hell’s up with 7:30 a.m. and 6-8 p.m. meetings? Unless there’s spiked eggnog involved, it’s just cruel.
  • Is my toddler suffering from a split personality disorder? Because otherwise, I’m stymied by this increasingly prevalent behavior:
    Me: “Miles, would you like a bite of my grilled cheese?”
    Miles: “No, thank you.”
    Me: “Munch, munch, swallow.”
    Miles, tears appearing out of nowhere: “I DO want a bite, Mamaaaa!! Take it out of your mouf!!”
  • Why is my husband the hardest person on earth to buy a present for? I’ve given him CD players, watches, clothes, all kinds of things he suggested and in some cases specifically picked out, and they almost always end up getting returned or going unused. The Nike watch of ’07 is still a sore subject.
  • Are people really so obsessed with discounted merchandise that they will trample a Wal-Mart employee to DEATH?? Sadly, it looks like the answer to that is yes. Get a grip, people.
  • Do I need to get a present for X? If not, what if they unexpectedly give ME one? Should I buy a generic backup present just in case?
  • Is it too late to get a good photo for our family Christmas card?
  • Why is Miles up all night with a cough the minute my husband goes out of town?
  • Is the washing machine really broken, or just leaking?
THEME SONG O’ THE WEEK: Jem’s “And So I Pray.” Sample lyrics: “Storm is brewing in the air tonight/So many pressures on my mind/Want to escape just wanna run away/But it's not an option/I have to stay.”

PRAYER O’ THE WEEK: Please keep my neighbor in your thoughts. Her husband works (worked) for one of the aforementioned companies. Two kids, another on the way, Christmas in two weeks, and he gets laid off. Nice, huh?

2 comments:

Kelli @ writing the waves said...

Oh my gosh...I hadn't heard about the Wal-Mart incident. I just clicked the link, and I am sick to my stomach. That is awful. I've never done the Black Friday thing...I don't think I ever will either.

And I know what you mean about the kids getting sick as soon as hubby goes out of town. That's happened quite a few times around here. Ugh!

Anonymous said...

Amen, sister! I firmly believe the husband out of town thing is a sign for the kids to give up all good habits!!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails