6/22/08

Domestic Goddess by Default

baby on quiltI have never been an enthusiastic practitioner of the domestic arts -- cooking, cleaning, sewing, gardening, crocheting, what have you. I mean, I CAN whip up some tasty peanut noodles. I DO clean my kitchen (too often for my liking, yet still not often enough). I HAVE managed to keep a few houseplants alive. I even sewed a quilt for my unborn child. (Hey, I had to pass the time somehow during my 41+ week pregnancy!) But I wouldn’t say I particularly enjoy these activities.

I know people who love to cook. Look at Rachael Ray. The woman cooks for a living, and still claims she goes home and makes dinner every night. My question is: why?? Same goes for people who make their own clothes. I can appreciate a hand-sewn quilt, but why would you spent all that time making a dress when you could just go out and buy one? Gardening I sort of understand -– at least you can admire and maybe even eat the fruits of your labor -– but it’s still one of the least-appealing activities I can think of. Just the THOUGHT of dirt under my nails makes me cringe. And to me, mulch smells like vomit.

OK, so Holly Homemaker I’m not. Unfortunately for me, none of my hobbies (if you can even call them that) lend themselves to raising a child. Traveling, reading, going to concerts, eating out, exercising, even writing is not easy with a baby in tow. Early on, I was frustrated that motherhood curtailed so many of my favorite pastimes: the beach was too bright for a baby, his neck was too floppy for a bike seat, kayaking was too dangerous, and whenever he was sleeping, I was too tired to read.

Now that Miles is a toddler, he’s more adaptable. Still, we spend a lot of time housebound. Naps are sacred, he goes to bed early, and he prefers to stay home and play with his toys a lot of the time. So, I have been forced to find things to do around the house – like cooking, cleaning, and even (yikes!) gardening. It’s true. Miles and I spent a nice afternoon planting window boxes. Well, I planted while he dug in the dirt for worms and emptied the watering can on his shoes.

My mom, a skilled sewer and bread baker, revealed that she took up baking after she had a baby. It was a quiet, time-consuming activity she could do while he napped. Plus, it made the house smell nice and everyone got to enjoy the finished product. I learned to knit when I was pregnant, because I could do something productive and chat or watch TV at the same time. (Sadly, I ditched that hobby the minute I finished my first, and only, scarf.)

I have friends who are avid scrapbookers. (Or "scrappers," per the lingo.) That, I can get on board with. At least it’s an attractive way to deal with all those shoeboxes and/or hard drives full of photos. Other moms I know refinish furniture and make their own stationery. All productive activities you can do while keeping an eye on a baby. And that don’t take too much brain power. And that can be easily interrupted should you need to nurse, change a diaper, or rescue your toddler when he’s wedged his head between the slats of a kitchen chair. (Not that that’s ever happened to me. Oh, who am I kidding? Of course it has!)

I have not embraced my inner Martha. I do not aspire to win any bake-offs. I will never make a pair of overalls for my child or decoupage a lamp. (Actually, I don’t even know what that means.) I might, however, keep my window boxes alive this year. Fingers crossed.

LAUGH O’ THE WEEK: We were at the pool and another boy had a squirt gun. Miles asked me what it was. I paused, reluctant to introduce the concept of firearms. “What do you think it is?” I asked him. “A hairdryer!” he shouted. Sure. Let’s go with that.

9 comments:

leila said...

i hope to pick up knitting again; it's something i've been wanting to do even before i started growing a baby. but i think i'm similar to you on the craftiness/homemaking-talents thing. i know myself too well to think that i'll ever become one of those people who's skilled at all sorts of useful and creative activities.

there's this blogger called sarah brown, and on her flickr profile she says "I have nothing for sale on Etsy and I am okay with that" --- genius.

p.s. i found your blog a couple of months ago when i was languishing on the couch with impenetrable nausea, and i will confess that i went through your archives to read all about your experiences as a newly pregnant woman. i really, REALLY like your voice and your style of writing.

thanks for sharing your experiences.

Anonymous said...

I don't think I have an inner Martha to embrace. Cooking and cleaning are not my strong points (we don't starve, but I won't be winning any cooking awards, that's for sure). For me, it's a chore to be done, not an activity to enjoy.

I've never been interested in sewing, knitting, etc, and thank god my husband is good with plants, because I'd probably kill them all.

You're definitely not alone in your feelings on this.

Mom2Miles said...

Thanks, Leila! The nausea will pass, promise. In at least 9 mos. :)

Liza, thanks for reminding me I'm not alone in my remedial homemaking skills.

Life As I Know It said...

I definitely bake more since having kids. It gets easier. Since my youngest gave up naps we have a bigger window during the day for outings.

Clare said...

You are just so fun to read! thank you for your humor, it is so tough to find things to do with a toddler in the house that still require some type of brain power. I would consider myself a "scrapper" who also makes cards...my husband thinks it is a money pit, oh well! It keeps me sane:) lol, Clare

Anonymous said...

I think I'm right there with ya! I'm probably the opposite of crafty. I think scrapbooking is the worst...ruins the photos in my opinion.

4funboys said...

Since my own mother can put Matha to shame... it's pretty tough on this daughter to fall so short in the domestic line of treasures!

But... in God's infinite wisdom... He blessed me with 4 boys who'd much rather have a mom that's up to taking on 7 baseball teams in one season, and who knows where all the good drivethrus are...

and can still appreciate a grandmother who will make the color of thier milk cordinate with all the major holidays.

Andrea said...

Hi! Thanks for the comment! ;)

We admire other parents so much more, now that we sorta know what we are doing, right!?

Martha-Smartha....do what feels right.

I would love to look over your blog soon! We are visiting family and I am trying to buzz through things quickly....

Anonymous said...

Most of the voices are from moms who are domestic goddesses in some area so it is just so encouraging (and entertaining) to hear a voice that more accurately reflect my lack of "womenly" skills. I know that the women in my family are still waiting for me to start being a responsible wife and mom and that my job (as a full-time pulpit RABBI!) is just a phase!

Related Posts with Thumbnails