12/6/07

Month 19: Happy Thoughts

I'm afraid I'm getting to be a bit of a Debbie Downer lately, what with my rants about shopping disasters and jury duty and husbands who ring the doorbell when the baby and I are both asleep because they forgot their keys. (What? I didn't mention that? My bad.) So this here's going to be a New! Improved! Upbeat post, people!

So, after the Gap Mishap, I escaped for some Christmas shopping and a movie on my own. (Cue Bridget Jones singing "All By Myself.") Now, even though I consider myself to be a modern, evolved, independent woman, I still have reservations about going to a movie by myself. As do most other women I know. Why? Are we afraid we'll look like friendless losers? That everyone else in the theater will be couples holding hands and making googly eyes at each other over the popcorn?

Not at the 3:30 p.m. showing of "Enchanted," I'll tell you that. Sitting between an elderly couple and a mom and her young daughter, I blended right in. And I can't tell you how enjoyable it was not to have to listen to C. snort sarcastically throughout this unabashed chick flick. Plus I wasn't worrying in the back of my mind about racking up the sitter fees. What a treat! I highly recommend it for moms who need some "me time."

OK, what else? Upbeat, upbeat … oh, I know! It snowed here yesterday for the first time this year. Snow in Baltimore before Christmas is pretty unusual. All day long Miles kept saying, "Snow! Snow!" with the same funny pronunciation that he says "snack." He is currently obsessed with snowmen. Something to do with the Frosty book he got last Christmas. Unfortunately for him, Mama is a wuss and prefers to stay inside with a hot cup of tea. Getting cold and wet is Dad's domain, I've decided.

Now I've got snowflakes and mittens on the brain and have gotten the song "A Few of My Favorite Things" stuck in my head. So here are a few of mine: the TV show "Chuck" on NBC. For all you "Alias" fans, this is your new fix. It's a combination spy show and comedy, featuring a cute, semi-geeky guy.

Also, if you haven't hit the Target $1 section lately, it's a goldmine for stocking stuffers. I bought Miles a bunch of colorful wooden planes and trains. Of course, they were probably made in China and saturated in lead paint, but this is an upbeat post, dammit!! I refuse to get sidetracked.

If you prefer to do your shopping by catalog or online, check out Land of Nod. They've got a cool, fairly inexpensive selection of retro kids' gifts, and a free shipping section. Miles has one of the mini rocking chairs and loves it. This place is cool, too, for non-battery-operated toys: Back to Basics Toys.

Also, I am in love with the Container Store (click on Stocking Stuffers). I wish there was a location closer to us so I didn't have to pay shipping. But I would probably put a serious dent in Miles' college fund so it's just as well.

Well, I'm running out of material, people. Apparently, if I don't have something to complain about, I'm as dull as a pair of safety scissors. :) Never fear, I'll be back soon with new & improved calamities and indignities to report, I'm sure of it.

TIP O' THE WEEK: If you must shop in actual three-dimensional stores, take advantage of the early holiday hours. Target was blissfully empty at 9 a.m. today!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

You are so funny. I too am trying to be a little more gentle with the ol' self. It's funny that you mentioned Debbie Downer. I went to college with Rachel Dratch and I was just checking out all of her upcoming films on IMDB last night. Also, here's another sappy chick flick NOT to take any husbands to, August Rush. I've seen it twice already and plan to see it a third time. Just when you go, prepare to suspend your disbelief and you'll love it.

Mom2Miles said...

No way, you went to school with Rachel Dratch?? She is hilarious. I crack up just looking at her. I really want to see August Rush, I'm just afraid I'll bawl uncontrollably throughout!

Anonymous said...

Hi, I came across your blog and thought it was great because my two year old daughter is obsessed with snowmen too! We have a light up plastic snowman inside our house that turns his head side to side when plugged in. She tells him bye-bye and kisses him. It is sooo funny! We live in downtown Baltimore (Federal Hill) and enjoyed the snow as much as Miles did! Hope we get lots more!

Related Posts with Thumbnails