2/23/06

Week 25: The Waiting is the Hardest Part

Here’s what no one tells you about pregnancy: it’s often kind of boring. There will be days, weeks even, when not a whole lot happens. Sure, the baby is growing and changing constantly inside that big belly of yours, but from the outside, it’s not that exciting.

Let me clarify: I am thankful that my pregnancy has been uneventful, medically speaking. I have felt great for the most part, and have had no complications. I realize I’m very lucky. It’s just that, except for my occasional doctor’s appointments, there’s not all that much to do while I’m waiting for the baby to finish up in there and get born already.

We’ve ordered the crib, registered for baby gear, and are putting the finishing touches on the nursery. I’ve read more books than I ever knew existed about pregnancy, birth, baby names, and infant care. We’ve signed up for childbirth classes, gotten recommendations for pediatricians, and borrowed an infant car seat. I’m even learning to sew and knit, for Pete’s sake. That should tell you how much time I’ve had on my hands lately.

So now, there’s not much left to do but wait. Of course, few people – especially those who already have kids – have much sympathy for me. “Ha! You certainly won’t be bored in a few months,” they say. “You’ll WISH you had time to be bored!” Or sometimes they’ll say, “Enjoy it while it lasts. This time will be gone before you know it.”

Yet somehow, knowing that come June, I may not have time to shower, let alone take in a movie or get my nails done, doesn’t make those activities oh-so-much more enjoyable now. I’ve always been able to do those things. Big deal. I think they really only take on heightened appeal when you can’t remember when you last had time to do them.

I do take advantage of being able to sleep in when I feel like it, and go out to dinner with my husband. I keep telling myself, “In a few months, these date nights will be rare occasions that will require advance planning, a babysitter, and a list of emergency phone numbers.” I guess I could get started on that list now. It just seems so … boring.

Weird Symptom of the Week: Sleep is now frequently interrupted by calf cramps, bathroom visits, and general anxieties about work, breastfeeding, and the expiration dates on the dairy products in the fridge. Also, my stomach looks and feels like an overinflated basketball. I fear that it may explode at any moment.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails