5/9/11

The End of an Era

I’ve been living a lie, people. It’s been bugging me for a while now, especially whenever I meet a mom-to-be, or when a new person finds my blog.

Because the fact is, I’m not a new mom anymore. Not by a longshot. My “baby” – the one depicted in the cartoon lady’s belly up there in my header – is starting KINDERGARTEN next fall, if you can believe that. And I’ve got another baby now, too. Heck, that one’s not even a baby anymore – he’s a full-on toddler!

Don’t get me wrong. I don’t have this motherhood stuff all figured out now. I don’t pretend to be any kind of expert on pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding, sleep, or ANYTHING baby-related, really. Although I have become an unwilling expert on diaper rash, unfortunately. E-mail me for the nitty-gritty on that one.

And the truth is, new motherhood is sort of like wedding planning, in a way. When you’re in the midst of it you’re literally OBSESSED. No detail is too small to warrant hours on message boards and endless polling of everyone you know. For a few delusional days as a bride-to-be, I was actually concerned with tussy-mussies, if you can believe that! And don’t get me started on centerpieces.

As a new mom, I filled notebooks with charts of my newborn’s sleep patterns and bowel movements. I pestered his pediatrician with endless questions about how many ounces to feed him and whether a stray encounter with a peanut was the end of life as we knew it. If anyone dared ask me, after enduring a half hour of baby photos and a soliloquy about nap schedules, “So, what else is going on with you?” I looked at them blankly. What ELSE? I’m a NEW MOM, you moron! There is no “what else”!!

But after I became a wife, not a bride, and a regular old mom, not a new mom, I wanted nothing more to do with my former obsessions. Nada. You couldn’t pay me to shop for veils now, nor could I muster up any enthusiasm whatsoever on the subject of diaper pails. I’m over it.

So the time has come to say bye-bye to Diary of a New Mom. BUT WAIT! Don’t cry, freak out, or rend your garments in distress. Because nursing tops aren’t cheap. And besides, I’ve got a NEW blog! I do! It’s right here. It will be the same hilarious, heartfelt musings about life and kids and writing and all the other stuff you’ve come to expect from me. Only this time I’m using my real name! My real identity! And my REAL FACE, even!! (Insert gasp here.) So come on over and join me at Abby Off the Record, won’t you?

P.S. Don’t worry, new moms who just found this blog and think it’s the answer to your prayers. ;) Diary of a New Mom isn’t going anywhere. So sit back and browse the archives to your heart’s content. You know, in all your free time when you’re not feeding, pumping, burping, washing, changing, or otherwise taking care of your new baby.

9 comments:

Angie Mizzell said...

I had to click over to see what a tussy mussy was. See, you have so much to share with the world!

Shannon @ AnchorMommy said...

Haha! I can remember so many times when one particular friend would ask me that very "what's new with you" question. My answer: "Uhhhh...." Essentially, I had no answer. Sad. I'm slowly getting better at answering that question...

Anyway, YAY! A new blog!!! This is so exciting. And I think it's great that you're using your real name and everything! I'm clicking over there right now!!!

Mrs.E said...

Oh i love your blog!! I discovered it on november 2009 when i was three months pregnant, and i read all your posts that corresponded to my pregnancy. You helped me so much by making laugh!!! I will miss you here, but will definitely follow you on your new blog!!

SpontaneousMom said...

Ok- at 1st I was like "noooooo- don't leave" and then I read that you have a new blog- so Yay!!
I will say- Diary of a New Mom was my go to when I was a new mom! It got me through quite a few rough days- it's always nice to know that you aren't alone- and to add some humor to the craziness of being a mom. I will see you on the new blog!!

Anonymous said...

Hi! I'm a new mom. My daughter is only 16 months and we're starting to think about having a new one. I just subscribed to your blog. I love sharing information with moms to learn and teach :) not that I have much to teach.
I was hoping you might follow my blog as well. http://www.brandspankingnewbymom.blogspot.com
I'm trying to create a society of moms helping each other out while going through the joys and frustrations of motherhood :)

Keith said...

I recently decided to start blogging, and as a new parent, I created a list of some essentials I think every new parent shoudl consider. Thought you and your readers may enjoy. http://middleclasskeith.blogspot.com/2011/08/10-must-have-baby-items.html

Time 4 Me said...

Hey there! I just discovered your blog and have seriously spent like the last hour reading through posts. Where were you 13 years ago! J/K I don't want that answer, it will make me feel old. Lol. Anyhow, I plan on making my way to your new blog and if any of your readers take pitty on my soul and feel like checking out my blog it is www.time4mommy.blogspot.com. I have a business where I provide in home care to women placed on bedrest and during the first several weeks post partum. The blog is my attempt to educate new mom's with my "real world" advice. I want them to get the story from the imperfect mom living her imperfect life and just tryin not to screw my kids up too much. Lol.

Mama, Hear Me Roar said...

Wow, time flies with kids around. I look at mine now and think, "Where did the past 5 years go?!"

Lan said...

Hi, I enjoyed reading your comment, I will be a father two months from now and I was just roaming around, reading posts about parenting to learn some tips and stuff..

Related Posts with Thumbnails