4/4/11

Writer’s Block and Silly Kid Pics

I’ve taught writing for a while now, and there’s one question that consistently crops up from my students: what do you do if you’re not feeling particularly inspired? What if you can’t figure out what to write about? What if you are faced with that dreaded scourge that’s crippled many a wordsmith -- writer’s block?

Answer: you sit down and start writing. Or, to put it another way, you just show up. As Woody Allen once said, “80% of success in life is just showing up.” (Note: I had to Google this to find out who said it. And there’s disagreement over whether it’s 80% or 90%. So I spent another 10 min. or so Googling some more. Then I popped onto Twitter for a bit. This is what happens when *I* have writer’s block.)

I used to not believe in writer’s block, BTW. I thought it was an excuse lazy writers cooked up to explain why they hadn’t finished their Great American Novel yet. But you have only to read a few dozen “Sorry I haven’t posted lately...” blogs to realize writer’s block can strike anyone. Even me.

When it happens, I just sit down and start typing. (After I’ve exhausted all my procrastination techniques, that is. E-mail, Twitter, cleaning, another cup or 3 of coffee.) Sometimes what comes out is boring, repetitive drivel, but usually something halfway decent emerges eventually.

And remember: we’re our own worst critics. I will never forget the time I forced myself to finish a paper in grad school even though I had just broken up with my boyfriend who I totally thought was The One and I could barely see straight, my eyes were so blurred by the bitter tears of disillusionment and shattered dreams. (How’s THAT for drivel?) Because even in the midst of soul-crushing heartbreak I was a perfectionistic teacher’s pet who could never miss a deadline.

Well, guess what? I got an A on that paper! It certainly wasn’t the best thing I’d ever written, but so what? Sometimes it’s enough to just show up.

It’s the same with parenting, I’ve realized. I’m not going to be the most happy, energetic, creative, super-present mother every day. (Or even MOST days, if I’m being honest.) But sometimes the kids and I end up having a pretty darn good day even when I’m not bringing my A-game. Or even my B+ game.

My final advice on writer’s block? Bloggers are lucky. Because if we ever get really stumped in the writing department, we can just post pics like this:

What? Doesn't EVERYONE eat pizza shirtless with goggles on?


My mommy makes me wear a helmet at all times and they STILL know me by name at the ER!

5 comments:

A Hootie Hoot said...

Just had pizza for dinner last night and never considered shirtless and with goggles! What cute pictures!

That's what I love about Wordless Wednesdays, I don't have to worry about what to write and can just post great pictures!

Rebecca Einstein Schorr said...

First of all, I seem to recall some teacher of mine talking about the importance of writing. Just the actual act of doing it will eventually produce something worthwhile.

Should sound familiar.

Next, those boys of yours are delish!!!!!

Seriously, it is reassuring to know that even great writers have dry spells.

Angie Mizzell said...

I like to run from writer's block. But you're right, facing it head on is the only way through it. Sometimes words come to me when I'm going about my everyday life... but rarely when I'm surfing the Net or playing on Twitter. I've considered unplugging my wireless router during my writing times, just to reduce the urge to distract myself.

Your kids = adorable. Keep posting pics!

Loukia said...

Oh, those picture are priceless! The second picture... what an adorable little cutie-pie!

I do get writer's block quite often. It happens when I'm feeling down, or sad. Or if I think no one will read my blog post. Or, to be honest, if I haven't been receiving a lot of comments. That'll just bring me down, totally. Sad, but true!

I also love writing prompts to kick-start some creative juices in my brain.

Shannon @ AnchorMommy said...

I LOVE this post! You are so right. To get past the block you just have to start. Even if the first sentence or two or 10 are crap.

Also - those kid pics just made my day. Priceless.

Related Posts with Thumbnails