8/24/10

Authors Agree: Marriage Is Hard

At various times, certain themes crop up in my life, when it seems like everything I read, hear, or see converges on a particular subject. The current theme is: marriage is hard.

Now, everyone calm down. I’m coming up on my 7th wedding anniversary and I have no plans to pull an “Eat Pray Love” maneuver and ditch my husband to flit around the world for a year. (Though I’d be lying if I said the thought hadn’t crossed my mind a time or 20.)

I mean, really, is it a newsflash to ANYONE that “happily ever after” is harder than it’s made out to be? Especially when you add 2 kids to the mix? Personally, I find it refreshing when people admit that. Which is probably why I enjoyed the following 2 books so much.

The novel Everyone Is Beautiful by Katherine Center follows a young mother of 3, Lanie, who reluctantly uproots her family and moves cross-country for her husband’s job. The descriptions of the pure chaos involved in raising small kids, the dicey playground politics, the challenges of being friends with other moms whose circumstances are vastly different from your own, and the constant grappling between spouses for free time rang SO true to life.

I can’t tell you how many times my husband and I have debated whether work happy hours “count” as leisure time. Just like I can’t tell you how many times people who say parenting may be challenging but not physically grueling change their tune after a couple hours with my kids. Anyway, you should read the book. And also, fellow blogger/writer Angie Mizzell's interview with the author.

On a very different but related note is Laura Munson’s memoir, This Is Not The Story You Think It Is: A Season of Unlikely Happiness. Before I read the book, I read about this author’s long road to publication and found it hugely inspiring. Then I sought out her NYT “Modern Love” essay that the book is based on. (Especially interesting to me, since one of my students recently had an essay she developed in my online writing class published in Modern Love.) Then I bought the book.

Here’s the gist: what happens when your beloved husband of 15 years comes home one day and says, “I don’t love you anymore. I’m not sure I ever did”? I’m willing to bet 99% of us wouldn’t respond the way Munson did: “I don’t buy it.”

Even while reeling from shock and pain, she was able to recognize that this was more about him having a job-related midlife crisis than it was about her. The book covers the following year of Munson’s life as she turns to therapy, writing, mothering, cooking, friends, and nature to help her through this difficult time.

Like Center’s novel, it shows that even “good” marriages don’t guarantee happiness and personal fulfillment. Both books also explore what happens when women pursue their own passions. Honest, eye-opening, gut-wrenching, and yet also beautiful and even funny at times, Munson’s book was hard to put down.

Yep, marriage is hard, all right. Good thing there are writers out there willing to address the subject in such honest and uplifting stories.

LAUGH O’ THE WEEK: Two things you don’t want to hear on a long family roadtrip: 1) "Do you smell throw-up?" 2) "Or is that poop?" Answer: Both.

I tackled one kid while my husband handled the other. If that’s not true love, I don’t know what is.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

THANK YOU for such a lovely mention of my book. Really means a lot. I want it to help people. yrs. Laura

http://www.lauramunsonauthor.com

Angie Mizzell said...

I went off link hopping and almost forgot to come back thank you for this great post and for introducing me to Laura Munson. Love stories like that.

Grandpa2Miles said...

There's a great poem on the "Marriage is Hard" theme by that master of the two-line poem, A. M. Juster. It's titled "Disclaimer," and it goes like this:

Despite what's promised when you marry,
actual results my vary.

--Courtesy of First Things magazine (www.firstthings.com)

Kelli @ writing the waves said...

I've been wanting to read "Everyone is Beautiful". My mom told me about it awhile back. Sounds like I can definitely relate with our somewhat recent move. I can't believe it's been over a year now. I'll have to look for the other one too. Thanks for the recommendations!

Superstitions said...

Thank you for the recommendations. I have a difficult time finding books I like, because I'm always thinking about how unrealistic the story is. These might just be what I'm looking for.

Stuff Parents Need said...

Earlier today I was thinking that I need a new book to get into. I just requested Everyone is Beautiful from the library. Thanks!

Related Posts with Thumbnails