12/2/07

Month 19: I Plead Guilty

I blame coffee. Or, rather, the lack thereof. If we hadn't been out of coffee, I would never have suggested that we change out of our warm PJs and go out to breakfast on Saturday morning, thus setting off a disastrous chain of events.

But we were up, we were tired (except for Miles, bright-eyed and bushy-tailed since 6:30 a.m.), and I, at least, needed some serious caffeine. So we set off. On the way there, C. remarked, “7:59 a.m. on a Saturday and we’re on our way to breakfast. How times have changed.” Ain’t that the truth.

We picked a neighborhood restaurant, nicer than a diner but still kid-friendly. Or so I thought. As a pile of crumbs and table scraps began to accumulate under Miles’ high chair, I saw a guy who was sweeping the floor eye him warily. “Sorry about that. He’s going to keep you busy,” I half-joked. The guy did not smile back. Nice. The sun was barely up and I was already feeling guilty.

Let me just say here that I am no stranger to guilt. I have always cared way too much what other people think. If someone’s mad, I assume it’s my fault. If something goes wrong, I assume I am in some way responsible. Not like responsible for 9/11, but partly to blame for, say, a dining companion not liking their food. I know, it’s stupid.

Since I became a mom, guilt is pretty much my constant state of being. I felt guilty for keeping my doula at the hospital for the bazillion hours I was in labor. I felt guilty for sending the baby to the nursery so I could sleep. I felt guilty for not being overjoyed every second of every day. I felt guilty for snapping at my husband all the time. I felt guilty for not calling people back. I felt guilty for letting the baby cry, for not feeding him organic rice cereal, for not breastfeeding longer, and on and on. You name it, I felt guilty about it.

And it seems the older Miles gets, the more I have to feel guilty about. He makes huge messes at restaurants, he pushes other kids at the playground, he won’t sit still on planes, and he’s often very, very loud. But what can I do? Nothing but feel guilty, that’s what.

So after our tense breakfast -- where we hugely overtipped, I might add -- we went to the mall. Miles demanded to be let out of the stroller immediately. We chased him all over Macy’s, repeatedly grabbing his shirt mere seconds before he snatched some glass snowflake or porcelain Santa and smashed it to smithereens.

Stupidly, we continued on to the Gap. C. had wrestled Miles back into the stroller and was pushing him past a display of seasonal bath products when -- SMASH! Miles tipped a glass bottle of bath oil onto the floor.

While I am standing there, mortified, picking up glass shards, C. nonchalantly WALKS AWAY. I could have killed him. Later, he explained it this way, “What? It was an accident. Kids break stuff. The Gap is a huge corporation. I’ve spent tons of money there over the years. So, no, I don’t feel bad at all.”

Whereas I had grabbed a fistful of paper towels from the salesgirl to help her clean up the mess, all the while sputtering apologies. ("Sorry. I’m SO sorry! Did I mention how sorry I am?") Should I offer to pay for the bath oil? Was she going to call security? Overwhelmed with guilt, I scooped up a handful of overpriced lip glosses, paid for them, and high-tailed it out of there.

Then, on the way home, we got pulled over and ticketed for an expired registration. Can you guess how that made me feel? That’s right, all together now, people: GUILTY!! Though not too guilty to briefly consider bribing the cop with some cranberry lip balm.

READ O’ THE WEEK: How timely of Real Simple magazine to run a feature on how to avoid feeling guilty in the Dec. issue. Some of their suggestions: “Confess” to someone else (since secrecy breeds guilt); try to make amends; and give yourself credit for what you do right.

8 comments:

Nellie said...

I am such a guilt freak to... always to concerned about what E is doing and who she may be bothering with her messes and loud mouth!! Everything you listed that you felt guilty about, I have too at one time or another. I think it's just a mommy thing! :)

Beowulfa said...

Heh. Funny story. I think everyone should have the care of a small person for a week or two and then see if they can muster the gumption to frown in disapproval or offer some untimely bit of advice to us in-the-trenches parents. Really enjoy reading your blog. Took me awhile to catch up with all of 'em bit I look forward to each new one.

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness! What a day! I have my share of Mommy guilt, and my kids are by no means perfect. My daughter frequently has melt-downs in the middle of Wal-Mart. Talk about embarrassing! As a child, I was a terror in church, and when I was much older, my mother loved it when other people's kids would act up in church. She would get a secret little smile on her face, and after the service she would usually walk up to the mother, much to my teenage chagrin, and tell her how bad I was as a toddler. The relief the mother felt at this little commiseration was immediately evident. So, when my kids act up in public, I try to look past the scowling, childless person, searching for the woman with the secret smile, who has been through the exact same situation. Hang in there! You are not alone by any means. :)

Eileen said...

Great story about breakfast and shopping and driving. But I guess I do owe you an apology. First, let me say that I'm one of those childless people, except for a canary and a cockatiel. Anyway. I'm realizing that last week after I visited this great blog and enjoyed every little morsel about Miles and the joys of motherhood, I really should have mentioned something, just as a reminder, about shopping and such. And perhaps taking a roll of duct tape for little arms - or one of those leashes for children. Or whatever. But just to mention all that in advance. And...somehow I simply forgot to do that. So all this really is My fault. We haven't actually met of course, but that's beside the point. So please, forgive and I do apologize for not having helped prevent the bumps and crashes of the Saturday morning adventure. ;)

EE
(http://russiawithlove.blogspot.com)

Mom2Miles said...

Ha, ha! Thanks, Eileen. And the rest of you for chiming in & reminding me I'm not alone. Now that I've gotten some distance from it, it *is* kinda funny...

Anonymous said...

Someone tried to get me to feel guilty with my first daughter. I worked and went to college classes as did Daddy. But there was a parent with her every hour of the day. I refused to feel guilty.

I have my degree now and I'm home with my kids. And if I decide to act like a human being and go out to eat, I don't feel guilty. I tip well but you know what.... THEY GET PAID. If they don't want to deal with kids they need to get a different job.

Hang up the guilt hat and move on. Your children are happy, healthy, and beautiful, so don't let some idiot bus boy ruin your day because he wasn't bright enough to get a job answering phones for a bussiness rather than waiting tables so he can get free food.

Anonymous said...

I really love your blog! It's so real and reassuring to the rest of us that we are not the only ones lol! Thanks so much for sharing your writing with us.

Mom2Miles said...

thank YOU, angelface79! And thanks for commenting. I love getting new visitors. :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails