6/14/07

Month 13: Mom Math

I know you’ll all be relieved to hear that I’ve found a new babysitter. A couple, actually. One I poached from my gym’s daycare and the other is a neighborhood girl who’s out of school for the summer. I've gotta say, I initially had my doubts about the high schooler, since it looks like Miles might outweigh her in a couple of weeks. But she handles him just fine.

So now that I have some backup for a few hours a week, naturally I want to make the most of my childfree time. I find myself engaging in these complicated calculations. For instance, I can’t decide if I should work out when my sitter’s here, or take Miles to the gym with me. The daycare at my gym charges $5 per child for two hours. Great deal, right? Except that they don’t change diapers and they won’t hesitate to page you loudly over the intercom if your child stinks up the place or won’t stop crying.

So, I could either a) pay $5 and potentially enjoy 120 minutes to myself (only 40 minutes of that time actually engaged in exercise; the rest spent sitting on the mat “stretching” and reading Us Weekly.) Or b) pay a sitter $10 an hour and let her deal with the diapers and tantrums. Or c) I could combine my workout with watching my son by taking him for a walk in the stroller -- free, but no magazines or air conditioning.

Another Mom math problem goes like this: is a $3.75 frappucino worth 15 minutes of cool refreshment, or is that money better spent on a) approximately 22 minutes of babysitting (at a rate of $10 an hour or roughly 17 cents per minute), b) 3 ¾ songs downloaded from iTunes, or c) a small tube of store-brand diaper rash cream.

The hardest to justify are the rare date nights my husband and I plan. We usually have the sitter come in time to feed Miles dinner at 6 pm; however, we’re often still getting ready and don’t actually leave the house immediately. Then, it’s too early to go to dinner and too late for an early movie. But the clock is ticking. We don’t want to go over that four-hour mark, or the night will really end up costing us some cash.

And, admit it. Doesn’t it bug you to pay someone to watch “Law & Order” while your child is sleeping peacefully? I almost feel a perverse sense of justice when the baby has a tough time going to bed when we’re out. At least the sitter had to WORK for her money!!

As we all know, though, a good sitter is worth her weight in frappucinos. If it weren’t for my sitter, I wouldn’t have the luxury of standing around the supermarket on a Tuesday afternoon debating whether the organic bananas are worth the extra cost, or if the pesticide-sprayed but cheaper ones are fine since you don’t eat the skin. Come to think of it, Miles doesn’t mind the supermarket. Next time I’ll bring him along and save my sitter-time for something more valuable. Hmmm… Is my $10 an hour better spent catching up on e-mail or bathing suit shopping?

TIP O’ THE WEEK: Word of mouth is by far the best way to find a sitter. One of ours is the daughter of a friend’s coworker; another is the neighbor of a friend’s husband’s grandmother. How’s THAT for a roundabout connection?!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hmmm...save the money and take Miles to the gym for the cheaper rate. Magazines and air conditioning are definitely worth the gym fees plus $5.

And I'll have to also go with the frappucino because, DUH, frappucino man!

We have an agreement with our sitter; if the boy's asleep in bed her rate is cut in half and she can watch all the trashy tv she wants and eat us out of house and home if she so desires. My way around it is to put said child to bed and then have her watch him. We have dinner and then a late movie. Makes the night cheaper.

Anne said...

Good for you! I'm all about hiring the teenagers for a few hours a week. Our current help here overseas (a whopping $30 USD for 8 hours a week) forgets to feed him, except for popsicles, but it's only 4 hours, and they have a blast. Plus he's 2.5, so he just eats a huge dinner instead.
I don't have help at home, but his has really opened my eyes.

Anne said...

oh, and my blog is cookingandscreaming@blogspot.com
Thanks!

Mom2Miles said...

Man, that's a good deal you worked out with your sitter. Wish I'd thought of the half-rate/trashy TV clause... :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails