5/2/06

Week 35: Reading List

We’re backpedaling on our names. I thought we had FINALLY decided, but I’m having second thoughts, especially about our boy’s name. It’s such an enormous decision. And that one name I thought was perfect partially because it’s uncommon? I’ve come across it at least five times in the past week. So I’m back to trolling the baby name web sites.

According to one site, the name Tom Cruise and Katie Holmes chose for their baby girl, Suri, means “wealthy” in Armenian and/or “go away” in Hebrew. How unfortunate. Or, perhaps, intentional.

I’m also having second thoughts about the baby’s room. Now that all the junk we were storing in there is cleared away, it looks rather bare. And sort of mismatchy. But our decorating funds have run low, so there’s not much more I can do at this point. Damn that Pottery Barn Kids catalog that came in the mail this week!

We still have to buy some basics, such as diapers, a diaper pail, a changing pad, and some other stuff I’m sure I’ve forgotten. (Do babies need socks in May?) Despite the months of preparation, I’m feeling pretty unprepared still. It’s hard to believe they just let you take home this fragile little person after a couple of days, without even having to pass a test or anything.

In the meantime, I’ve been getting my knowledge from books. Plus, I’m trying to cram in all the reading I can while I have the time and attention span. In no particular order, here’s my pregnancy reading list:

“The Girlfriend’s Guide to Pregnancy,” by Vicki Iovine
Even though it was published 10 years ago, this book is still quite relevant and very funny. The author pulls no punches, whether she’s talking about maternity-wear mishaps or pregnancy sex. I do, however, take issue with her “why bother” perspective on exercise during pregnancy.

“Waiting for Birdy: A Year of Frantic Tedium, Neurotic Angst, and the Wild Magic of Growing a Family,” by Catherine Newman
Started as a journal on Babycenter.com, this book chronicles the author’s second pregnancy and her first son’s toddlerhood. The best parts are anecdotes about the precocious 3-year-old; the worst, often-hefty doses of the tedium and angst mentioned in the title.

“Operating Instructions,” by Anne Lamott
A quick, entertaining read about a single mom raising her unplanned son on her own. At times, Lamott’s confessional style is a little much.

“My Boys Can Swim!: The Official Guy’s Guide to Pregnancy,” by Ian Davis
I bought this for my husband, who never managed to finish it, even though it’s barely 100 pages. I thought it was a witty, if lightweight, account of a guy’s perspective on procreation. Lots of discussion about not calling your wife fat and how to avoid things you don’t want to see in the delivery room.

“Breeder: Real-Life Stories from the New Generation of Mothers,” Ariel Gore & Bee Lavender, eds.
An anthology of pregnancy-related essays, many by atypical moms, e.g. unwed, tattooed, lesbian, proponents of home birth, ones who name their kids Lizard.

“From Here to Maternity: The Education of a Rookie Mom,” by Beth Teitell
The book I wish I’d written. Real, funny anecdotes about raising two small sons. I especially liked the chapters on the “new grandparents” (off getting Botoxed and doing Pilates instead of babysitting and baking cookies) and tricking her kids out of Halloween.

“Freakonomics,” by Steven D. Levitt & Stephen J. Dubner
Solely for the chapter on baby-naming trends. You’ll see why, although it’s a lovely name, we won’t be naming our daughter Avery. Apparently, it’s the new Madison.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails